Common questions

What is Warm Up Bristol?2018-02-13T13:28:31+00:00

It’s a Bristol City Council backed energy retro-fitting initiative, launched in October 2014, designed to help Bristol residents save money on their energy bills and encourage the reduction of carbon emissions through energy efficiency improvements to their homes.

Will the initiative be available to residents outside of Bristol?2018-02-13T13:26:06+00:00

The scheme is currently only available to owner occupier and privately rented properties within the Bristol City Council area.

Will there be a loan or finance option available to help me pay for the installation?2018-02-13T13:24:55+00:00

Low income households and some private landlords may be able to access low cost loan options via Wessex Home Improvement Loans – please speak to our team to find out more about this offer and whether you qualify.

We may also be able to offer specific funding to homes receiving other types of benefits. You can find out more on our Financing your installation page.

Is Bristol City Council using local taxes to help fund this work?2018-02-13T13:23:49+00:00

No local taxes are being used to help subsidise this work.

Will I need planning permission?2018-02-13T13:23:13+00:00

For some installations such as external wall insulation you may need planning permission. Some general guidelines are as follows:

If you live in a Listed Building, please consult the conservation officer at Bristol City Council on 0117 922 3000 or development.management@bristol.gov.uk. You can find out more about energy saving refurbishment in historic buildings with this guidance document.

If you live in a conservation area there may be some restrictions on what you can install and you may require planning permission. If you are replacing windows, as long as you are retaining like for like materials, finishes and style (i.e. single glazed wood box framed sash windows for double glazed wood box framed sash windows) you will not need planning permission.

If you want to change the look and feel of the windows you will need to apply for planning permission. If you want to apply external wall insulation and you live in a conservation area you will need to apply for planning permission. You should not need to apply for planning permission for solar panels, though these must be installed in line with guidance on Bristol City Council’s planning website.

If you live in a house that has been sub-divided into flats you will need to apply for planning permission to have external wall insulation installed, even if you own all the properties in that building. If you are living in a sub-divided house and want to apply for planning permission to have external wall insulation you are more likely to get planning consent if the whole house is going to receive external wall insulation, so see if your neighbours want to have the insulation installed and share the cost of the planning application.

If you don’t live in a conservation area, you may still need to apply for planning permission on external wall insulation if any of the following apply:

  • Your property is finished in stone, exposed or painted bricks.
  • Your property has at least one wall that meets directly with the pavement.

Your Warm Up Bristol assessor will be able to advise you on whether you need planning permission or not, which will be confirmed by your installer. However, the ultimate responsibility for planning lies with you, the homeowner.

To help you plan improvements to your home, we’ve launched a new planning guide and an online tool on our Planning Guidance page.

What happens if an issue occurs during installation?2018-02-13T13:22:07+00:00

We take customer satisfaction very seriously and want to make sure that you have the best experience. In the first instance, we ask customers to speak to their installer to see if they can resolve the problem.

If the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction we want to hear about it so that we can take action. If this is the case, please contact the Warm Up Bristol team by emailing info@warmupbristol.co.uk or calling 0117 352 1180.

How long will installation take?2018-02-13T13:20:51+00:00

This depends on the types of measures you are having done to your home and when we are able to access it. To give a rough guide we say that loft insulation generally takes around half a day, and a new boiler can normally be fitted in one day. The measure that generally takes the longest is External Wall Insulation which will require scaffolding and some preparation work. As with most building works the installation is weather dependent and this may create some delays.

Is the work guaranteed?2018-02-13T13:19:48+00:00

We aim to provide the best levels of service and all our work is guaranteed either by the installers, manufacturers of products or the organisations and agencies which accredit energy efficiency products and services. Your insurance-backed guarantee is specific to the measure installed at your home and all guarantee information will be explained to you should there be a need to claim in the future.

I am a Council/Social Housing Tenant, do I qualify for the initiative?2018-02-13T13:19:02+00:00

No, as Councils and Housing Associations already have a duty to adequately insulate their properties. We advise contacting your landlord to understand more about the existing energy efficiency measures at your home. Bristol City Council has a project, called Warmer Homes, for energy-efficiency refurbishments on social housing properties – find out more about the scheme on the council’s website.